Frequently asked questions about the Great Wildebeest Migration
Below are some of the questions asked online about the annual Great Wildebeest Migration in Maasai Mara and Serengeti National Park.
1. What is the great wildebeest migration?
The Great Wildebeest Migration is an annual migration of wildebeest from Serengeti National Park in Tanzania to Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya and back in search of greener pastures.
2. Where do wildebeest migrate?
The wildebeest migrate from Serengeti National Park in Tanzanian to Maasai Mara National Reserve in Kenya and back in a continuous loop.
3. What month is the Migration in Kenya?
The Wildebeest migration happens between the month of July to November, the best time to view the migration is between July and August.
4. What time of year is the great migration in Africa?
The Wildebeest migration happens only in the two east African countries – Kenya and Tanzania.
5. What time of year is the migration?
The Wildebeest Migration is an all-year-round event, it is usually active in Tanzania for 9 months and 3 months in Kenya.
6. What time of year is the Serengeti in Tanzania migration?
The timing of the migration varies from year to year but the best time to experience it is from June to October.
7. Which is better Serengeti or Masai Mara?
None is better than the other they are both awesome safari destinations, the only difference is that Maasai Mara is more concentrated from a wildlife point-of-view throughout the year.
8. How long does the migration last?
The Wildebeest Migration is an all-year activity that is always happening in one of the two National Parks.
9. How many wildebeest die during migration?
An estimated 250,000 wildebeest and 30,000 zebras die during the migration as a result of predation by carnivores, thirst, hunger, and exhaustion.
10. How far do wildebeest travel during migration?
The wildebeest travel a total of 800 km or more during each cycle of the Migration.
11. Is the great wildebeest migration a wonder of the world?
The Great Wildebeest Migration is one of the seven wonders of the world also known as “The World Cup of Wildlife.”
12. What animals are in the Great Migration?
The wildebeest are usually accompanied by zebras, Grant’s gazelle, Thomson’s gazelle, eland, and impalas.
13. Where can I stay during the Migration in Kenya?
Below are some of the Hotels and Camps in Maasai Mara that you can stay in during the migration season.
- Sekenani Camp
- Tipilikwani Mara Camp
- Sarova Mara Game Camp
- Ashnil Mara Camp
- Mara Intrepids Camp
- Mara Leisure Camp
- Mara Serena Safari Lodge
- Fairmont Mara Safari Club
- Mara Engai Wilderness Lodge
- Mara Ngenche Safari Camp
- Mara Legends Camp
- Mara Big Five Camp
- Mara Explorer Luxury Camp
- Ol Seki Hemingways Mara
- Olare Mara Kempinski
- Mara Rianta Luxury Camp
- Spirit of the Masai Mara
- Entumoto Safari Camp
- Masai Mara Sopa Lodge
- Keekorok Lodge